By now it is old news that Berkshire Hathaway Inc. has picked up an INR 25 Billion stake in digital payments firm Paytm. This morning, the man of the moment in India’s entrepreneurship ecosystem – Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Founder, One97 Communications tweeted:
The internet went on to explain to him that ‘udaman’ is urban slang for “you the man” – an appreciative word used to express delight in a job well done.
Small Is Big gives you 10 reasons why VSS is indeed the man – especially for the startup ecosystem in India!
1. Harduaganj near Aligarh was a non-descript place till VSS made it famous, not just in India but around the world!
2. VSS finished class 12 at the age of 14 while we lower mortals finished at 17!
3. He didn’t know English and taught himself the language so he could crack his Engineering entrance exam!
4. He learnt to code all by himself and launched his first startup – XS Communications – while still in college!
5. His hostel room was his first office and a shopkeeper’s landline his official phone number!
6. VSS leveraged demonetization like no other payments and e-wallet company did!
7. It took VSS only 1 meeting (on Valentine’s Day 2018) and 2 phone calls to seal the deal with Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathway!
8. Paytm did not pick up all the money that Berkshire Hathway offered as it did not want to dilute stakes any further!
9. His net worth as of today is $1.7 Billion and he owns 16% of Paytm valued at $9.4 Billion!
10. His dream is to build India’s first $100 Billion firm that makes the nation proud!